Trinity Icon of Andrei Rublev
Trinity is a Holy Trinity Icon ("Rublev's Trinity", is considered to be created by Russian icon painter Andrei Rublev in the XV century.[ It is his most famous work, as well regarded as one of the highest achievements of Russian art. Trinity depicts the three angels who visited Abraham at the oak of Mamre (Genesis 18,1-15), but the painting is full of symbolism and often interpreted as an icon of the Holy Trinity.
Little is known about Trinity's history, scientists can only make suppositions. Even the authorship of Rublev is questioned sometimes. Different sources conjecture the date of creation as 1408-1425, 1422-1423 or 1420-1427. The official version states 1411 or 1425-27. According to the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius records, in 1575 the icon was "covered with gold" by Ivan the Terrible. A golden riza was renewed in 1600 during the tsardom of Boris Godunov. The original is currently held in the Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow. It was commissioned in honor of the abbot Sergius of the Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra, near Moscow. Two copies were made (in 1598-1600 and in 1926-28), both kept in Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra's Cathedral iconostasis.